7 Fun Facts about Braces

bracesMoms and dads, braces have evolved since your teenage days when you rocked the metal smile! Many kids today look forward to wearing them. Here are some fun facts about braces that will help explain why:

1. Some braces are invisible, and not because they’re clear, but because they’re inserted behind the teeth!
  2. Braces can change color. The rubber bands used with braces now come in an array of hues that can be changed with each appointment. Kids can coordinate the color of their bands with their changing moods, school colors, or even a particular holiday.
  3. The first day of wearing braces typically is the most uncomfortable, more so than at any subsequent tightening, and even those initial 24 hours are much less painful than they used to be, because…
  4. Our new orthodontist, Dr. Helaine Kan

Our new orthodontist, Dr. Helaine Kan

Traditional metal braces are now smaller and more efficient at straightening teeth. Even the wires are thinner.

5. You can floss your teeth without using a threader. Your orthodontist can show the kids how to use a special flosser that gets underneath the wire and in between their teeth…no threader required!
  6. The “braces bag” has better perks. This might include handy items like lip balm, a mirror, and a little spiral dental brush to remove food from between the teeth when it’s not convenient to brush.
  7. One thing that hasn’t changed…the post-braces retainer. Did you know that retainers often get thrown out by mistake when wearers remove them to eat, place them on a napkin, then throw out the napkin? This happens more often than losing a retainer due to misplacing it!

Have you heard? Alameda Pediatric Dentistry now offers orthodontics! That means you can get all your child’s dental procedures done under one roof with the help of our new orthodontist, Dr. Helaine Kan.

Photo (featured): Monica/CC BY 2.0

Comments

1. hi this is a great website

2. I just got new braces they really hurt. Can you eat ice cream if you just got braces?

3. Ayshwarya.J says:

Hi, 6 years back I had my braces and I was asked to wear a post removable brace, but still I am wearing it . If I stop wearing it again after a week gap starts appearing between by teeth like it was before. Tell me whether I should be wearing this throughout my life or we have any alternative methods.

4. They’re not that bad after you get used to them…

5. I’m getting braces In a month and I’m so worried that I won’t be able to do anything because of the pain! I’m very sensitive to pain that’s why I’m so curious. I do a lot of physical activity every week, so what should I do to get ride of the pain or help it so it doesn’t bother me as much?

• Alameda Pediatric Dentistry says:

Hi Kylie. You will be a bit sore for a couple of days after getting your braces on and after every adjustment. We suggest you take aspirin or ibuprofen to help manage the pain, as well as eat soft foods to ease the discomfort.

6. Hey I’m getting braces in two days. What does it feel like to have the mouth retractor in your mouth? Like the thing that pulls your lips so they can put on the brackets.

• Alameda Pediatric Dentistry says:

Hi Ellie. Thanks for your question. The mouth retractor helps pull the lips and cheeks away from the teeth to keep them dry. If you keep your lips relaxed, it won’t hurt.

7. I just got braces yesterday morning and
    It was uncomfortable everything I eat I cut up into extra small pieces like baby and I feel like I’m starving lol

8. i am about to get my braces and i am really scared. Do you have any tips

• Alameda Pediatric Dentistry says:

Hi Makayla. It’s ok to be scared, but once you get them on, you will realize that getting them on wasn’t so bad afterall.

9. I just got my braces today and they do not feel good at all, what do I do to stop thinking about the pain?

• Alameda Pediatric Dentistry says:

Hi Elizabeth. I’m sorry you’re not feeling well. The best thing to do to stop thinking about the pain is to take some pain relievers such as ibuprofen or aspirin to alleviate the pain and to do something to distract you from the pain. Perhaps watch a movie or a television show?

10. RONA HERMOSO says:

Hi i just got my braces yesterday amd everytime i will eat food some of my teeth are sooo painful and i cannot bite anything. Its very sensitive is it normal or not?

• Alameda Pediatric Dentistry says:

Hi Rona. Yes, it is normal for your teeth to be very sensitive in the first few days upon getting your braces on. Although after each day thereafter, you will notice less sensitivity.

11. do you have any tips like on what’s best to eat right after you get braces ??

• Alameda Pediatric Dentistry says:

Hi Lacie. Thanks for your question. The best things to eat right after you get braces are soft foods such as mashed potatoes, smoothies, yogurt, soup, pasta, rice and any other soft-cooked meats and seafood. Best of luck to you!