Did you know that February is National Children’s Dental Health Month? The campaign is sponsored by the American Dental Association to raise the awareness about the importance of oral health. Here are just a handful of examples of how various providers are promoting dental education and services in the Bay Area and beyond:
- In San Mateo, dentists will provide a day of free dental services to low-income children. The San Mateo County Health System and the San Mateo County Dental Society have jointly hosted free dental services during Give Kids a Smile Day for the past 10 years
- In Fremont, Dr. Colin Yoshida encourages Fremont-area residents to learn more about periodontal disease and new gum disease treatment options.
- Alameda Pediatric Dentistry offices will host Give Kids a Smile Day one Saturday, providing a select group of children in severe need with dental treatment under sedation. Staff and doctors will volunteer their weekend to help rid these children of pain and dental infection.
- To kick-off the Dental Health Month, Dr. Ben Burris introduced a Dental Patients’ Bill of Rights, outlining key protections all dental patients should be afforded by their providers.
- The Partnership for Healthy Mouths, Healthy Lives released the interactive, mobile Toothsaver gaming app to encourage kids to brush this month and throughout the year.
Did you know that February is also National Pet Dental Health Month? Check the American Veterinary Medical Association website for instructions on how to brush your dog’s teeth and prevent periodontal disease in pets!