There are many reasons why experts recommend that children have their first dental visit by age 1 or within 6 months of the first tooth coming in.
- It helps your child feel comfortable with the dentist and creates a solid foundation for their dental care.
- It establishes a dental home, so you know exactly where to go in case of emergency. (We are on-call for emergencies!)
- The pediatric dentist can provide expert counseling on oral hygiene, teething, diet, nutrition, injury prevention, and more!
- It is important to have a full exam of the teeth, jaws, bite, gums, and oral tissues to check growth and development.
- It helps prevent the most common chronic disease affecting children: tooth decay! More than 21% of American children between the ages of 2 and 5 already have cavities by the time they see a dentist. Research suggests that, for each year past a child’s first birthday without a dental appointment, the child’s chances of getting tooth decay nearly doubles.
Starting dental visits early prevents tooth decay, avoids pain, reduces dental-related costs, and prepares kids for a lifetime of healthy smiles!
Alameda Pediatric Dentistry now offers a complimentary “Baby’s 1st Smile Visit” for new patients under 24 months old! This visit includes an exam, cleaning, and fluoride at no charge.
Call today to schedule, or click here to request an appointment!