YOUR CHILD’S FIRST VISIT
It is our mission to provide our young patients with the support they’ll need to maintain excellent oral health for a lifetime! We have gathered some helpful information to make their first visit a positive experience.
It’s natural for kids to be a little nervous about their first dental appointment. Here are some things you can do to help prevent unnecessary anxiety for your little one.
- Schedule wisely: Try to schedule their first visit for a time when they are typically in a good mood (usually after napping and eating.) Younger children tend to do their best in the morning or early afternoon. By arriving 10 minutes early, you can avoid traffic stress and settle in before the fun begins!
- Keep it Positive: Tell them the dentist will count their teeth and make sure they are strong and healthy. We recommend avoiding certain words like “hurt,” “shot,” “needle,” and “drill” when talking about the dentist, since these words might trigger concern or fear.
- Books and videos about going to the dentist can help get kids excited about their visit. We especially love these:
- The Tooth Book by Dr. Seuss
- Peppa Pig “The Dentist”
- Daniel Tiger’s Neighborhood “Daniel Visits the Dentist”
- Dora the Explorer “Show Me Your Smile!”
WHAT TO EXPECT
When you first enter our office, you will be greeted by a friendly member of our team. If you have not yet filled out the New Patient Forms, these will be provided to you.
During the first visit, we will take a welcome photo of your child for their records.
Our team will bring you to a private dental room to discuss oral hygiene, habits, diet, and any concerns you may have. We are able to provide expert counseling on a variety of topics, including teething, breastfeeding, nutrition, injury prevention, and more!
We want your child to feel involved in the visit, so we will ask them to pick a toothpaste flavor (prophy paste), a toothbrush color, and a pair of sunglasses to shield from the lights.
Depending on your child’s age and dental concerns, digital x-rays may be taken.
Our team of highly trained assistants and pediatric dentists will complete a thorough exam and cleaning. We will answer any questions you or your child may have.
We believe in prevention, and we encourage regular 6-month “recall” visits for children to build a strong foundation of oral health for a lifetime.
We hope to make your child feel very special and proud of having completed their first dental visit!