Our patients of record enjoy comprehensive dental care and orthodontics all under one roof!
Our Alameda office offers children the most customized dental care in and around the Bay area. Our doctors are not only committed to providing pediatric dental care and preventative dentistry for infants, children and teens, but they also know it is important to receive an early orthodontic evaluation to see if treatment may be necessary.
Early detection helps eliminate your child’s potential bite problems, speech, and ability to chew and digest foods properly. The American Association of Orthodontists recommends that an initial orthodontic evaluation should occur at the age of 7, or the first sign of orthodontic problems. Regular examinations by your orthodontist will help anticipate the perfect time to begin treatment for your child, if necessary.
The Orthodontic Patient Information Form is on our Forms page.
Read below to find out how your child may need and benefit from orthodontic care:
How to tell if my child needs early orthodontic treatment
- Early or late loss of baby teeth (your child should typically start losing teeth around age 5 or 6)
- Difficulty chewing and/or biting
- Mouth breathing
- Your child continues sucking his or her thumb after age five
- Speech impediments
- Protruding teeth (the top teeth and the bottom teeth extend away from each other)
- Teeth that don’t come together in a normal manner or even at all
- Shifting of the jaw when your child opens or closes his or her mouth (crossbites)
- Crowded front teeth around age seven or eight
What are the advantages of early orthodontic treatment?
- Creating room for crowded, erupting teeth
- Creating facial symmetry through influencing jaw growth
- Reducing the risk of trauma to protruding front teeth
- Preserving space for unerupted teeth
- Reducing the need for tooth removal
- Reducing treatment time with braces
- Preventative measure for malocclusions (bad bites)
Helaine Kan, DDS, MS
I am truly honored to be a part of this dental team where nothing short of excellence is expected. Having been fortunate enough to work in dentistry for nearly ten years in both northern and southern California, I’m excited to have the opportunity to bring my experiences into this practice, in order to provide you and your families with the area’s most confident smiles.
I was born and raised in southern California and earned my Bachelors of Science (B.S.) in Molecular, Cell and Developmental Biology from UCLA (Go Bruins!!) and graduated Cum Laude. I attended dental school at the University of California, San Francisco (UCSF) where I graduated at the top of my class. Having fallen in love with San Francisco, I stayed at UCSF and obtained my orthodontic specialty training and a Masters of Science (M.S.) Orofacial Science.
I love being in the mountains and the great outdoors. My interests include: skiing, hiking, camping, backpacking, traveling and playing soccer.